Project SEARCH is a trademarked and copyrighted model of employment training for students with significant disabilities *ages 18-21. Students are immersed in a combination of classroom instruction, career exploration and hands-on training through worksite rotations (internships) with a local business for an academic year. Program success is measured by the number of interns who are hired by the host business, or obtain year-round competitive employment in an integrated setting within one year of completing their internships, for 16 or more hours a week at minimum wage or higher.
There are six established Project SEARCH sites in Wisconsin:
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Wauwatosa
- Ministry St. Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield
- St. Elizabeth Hospital in Appleton
- UW Hospital and William S. Middleton Memorial VA Hospitals in Madison
- Walmart Distribution Center #6025 in Menomonie
- Waukesha Memorial Hospital in Waukesha
In 2014, seven new partnerships were announced:
- ASPIRO in Green Bay
- Cooperative Educational Service Agency 5 in Portage
- Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin, Inc. in Milwaukee
- My Innovative Services in Stevens Point
- Opportunity Developmental Centers, Inc. in Wisconsin Rapids
- River Falls School District in River Falls
- Sauk Prairie School District in Sauk City
Collaborative partners in Green Bay include:
- ASPIRO - Lead Agency
- Bellin Health
- HSHS St. Vincent Hospital
- CESA 7
- Area high schools
- Family Representatives - Mary Beth Jossart & Becky Brown
- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development - Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
Project SEARCH was developed in 1996 by nurse, J. Erin Riehle, at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC).
* The program focus is on serving young adults with a variety of developmental disabilities (acquired before age 22 such as intellectual disability, visual impairment, hearing impairment, orthopedic impairment, Autism, etc.).
For more information, contact Project SEARCH Manager, Mallory Cornelius at 920-593-4353 or firstname.lastname@example.org.